We intend to resume group rides, but to do so we need to put in place specific measures to manage the risks appropriately. We intend to start with Sunday rides, and initially there will be two groups of up to 6 for a Medium ride and two groups of up to 6 for a Medium plus ride. If you are currently riding with an ad hoc group, please continue to do so to allow those who are not to join a group.
To register for a place, please read the guidance below and complete the registration form using the form at the bottom by midnight on the Friday before. Rides will be compiled on a first come first served basis and you will get an email on the Saturday either confirming your place or indicating that you were unsuccessful this time. Those successful will see the details of those in their group in the confirmation email. If you need to cancel, please use the form again but select “Cancel” instead of the ride you booked.
WELC’s Requirements for Group Riding under COVID-19
Our members’ safety is very important to us.
In deciding whether or not to join a WELC group ride, you must:
1) Stay at home and not ride if you feel unwell, or if you have been contacted by the Government’s Track & Trace operation, or are awaiting the results of a Covid-19 test, or have been self isolating under the Government’s requirements. Symptoms related to COVID-19 include (but are not limited to):
• a new, continuous cough
• a high temperature (of 37.8°C or higher)
• a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell
2) Assess and accept your personal health risk, particularly if you have an underlying health issue.
3) Note that there will be NO ride leaders and you are responsible for knowing and following the ride route.
Before, during and after a ride, you must:
4) On arrival at Hornbeam, go straight to your own group as directed by the duty Marshall and remain, socially distant, in that group until departure. Note that one group each of Medium+ and Medium group riders will meet, with Medium in the top parking bay and Medium+ in the next bay down. The first two groups should arrive promptly to leave at 9:30am. The other two groups will do likewise to leave at 9:40. You should arrive just before the start time so as not to overlap.
5) Note that:
• with social distancing, your ride group is likely to be spread over a longer distance on the road than usual, which may make overtaking more difficult and you should leave overtaking gaps and use pull-ins to help drivers;
• there will be no official café stops. If you choose to stop at a café, you must adhere to social distancing guidelines and government guidelines/regulations. Alternatively, consider taking adequate refreshments for the ride distance. Consume refreshments in the open air. Use hand sanitiser;
• shared bike and walking paths can be used but with discretion. Consider changing the route to avoid them,
• maintain social distancing and meet any other relevant guidelines/regulations when meeting/passing cyclists, walkers and pedestrians, and
• do not share tools, food, water. Good hygiene must be maintained by regular handwashing and the use of hand sanitizer.
6) Make yourself aware of the recent rider drafting research.
7) Practice good respiratory etiquette and cough or sneeze into your elbow well away from other riders.
8) Refrain from spitting and/or blowing your nose while riding, if possible. If you must clear your nose or throat, fall well back behind all other riders to do so. Wash your hands in hot water and soap for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as soon as possible after.
9) Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
10) Wash your hands with soap and water after riding, before eating, and after using the bathroom. If there is no hand wash basin available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Consider carrying a small container of sanitiser in your jersey pocket or bike bag on all rides.
11) Wash riding gloves between each ride along with jerseys, shorts, arm warmers, etc.
12) Wash, rinse and sanitize water bottles using a mild bleach solution after each ride.
13) Between rides, spray handlebars with a disinfectant spray.
14) If you fall ill during a ride you must leave the ride, taking all possible precautions to prevent transmission, and seek a Covid-19 test as soon as possible.
15) If you fall ill after a ride and have any COVID-19 symptoms, or are contacted by Track & Trace and asked to quarantine yourself, you must inform any WELC director or committee member as soon as possible.
Application to join a group ride
If the date shown is not for the day you want then please wait until booking is updated on Monday morning